Friday, August 15, 2008
When Our Kids Go to Bed...
Here are a few things the hearing parents with hearing kids need to know and probably have never thought of before about a house of deaf children. Sometimes our friends who all have hearing kids, drop their kids off at daycare and their biggest worry is whether their child will eat a good lunch. They may look at us who have kids with special needs and think..."I can't imagine dropping my kid off w/ 14,000 dollars worth of equipment on their ears, and wondering if they'll pick up any new language or hear the words to the songs they sing" but we moms w/deaf children need you to know, it's not that bad!!
Things we can do that you can't do...
1. We can crank up our music....when our kids go to bed.
2. We could have people over, laugh and talk as loud as we want...when our kids go to bed.
3. You'll never find us whispering when our kids go to bed, but you might find us turning the lights low, or tiptoeing so we don't vibrate the floor
4. The sound of mom cooking in the mornings will never wake our kids, but the smell might...or even the morning light shining in (buy heavy dark curtains!!)
5. and finally...we laugh when you call late (or early) and say "I hope I didn't wake the kids"...go ahead ring our doorbell too, you won't wake our kids
I'm sure other parents have plenty to add to the list...
Labels: cochlear implants